Skip to main content

Black Health: The Increased Need To Look After Ourselves


This week has been an interesting week with a bizarre and unintentional focus on health and how some of us tend deal with our personal health;  from conversations with the girls regarding annual health checks, to a discussion with my dad about health due diligence to me attending an event hosted by Black History Walks about our foot health.
Personally, past experience with my health has made me realise the importance of self managing ones health by self assessments ei. checking moles, for lumps, rashes, etc, learning up on the science behind long standing health issues (I suffer from from a mild sensorineural hearing loss, allergic rhinitis and everything else associated with allergies), to reading medication booklets to understand more about the medication prescribed, the risk posed and its suitability - trust me this is actually a very important thing to do since I once was prescribed medication that would agitated one of my long standing ailments!
While GP's may have our interests at heart, I've found they are more useful when you come to them with some idea as to what might be wrong with you, I know that sounds crazy but it has shown me the importance of learning a thing or two about your health and health risks.

This is something this week has drummed home to me that we must all be accountable for our personal health and be aware of particular factors that potentially put us at risk such as our age, gender, family history, lifestyle and more importantly our ethnicity!
The event I attend this week was on foot health and was taken by two Chiropodists, while I have heard of Chiropody as a branch of medicine I was clueless as to what they did or how you go about accessing them; I assumed they could help me out with an pain in my foot I'm having but never thought they could be better then my local beautician at massaging my feet and keeping them soft and supple. As well as this I learnt lots of really interesting facts such as, one quarter of all bones in the body are located in our feet, that women are 4 times more likely to suffer from foot problems than men and that asides from carrying us around and being squeezed into cute shoes out feet can also indicate specific health issues such as diabetes.
Diabetes can actually have devastating affects on the health of our feet which was drummed in by the gory picture presentation though being black I'm actually 4 times more likely then my white counterparts to develop diabetes which made the presentation just that little bit more important for me to take in; my being a woman also puts me at risk of suffering from foot problems though dispite the likelihood of me needing to see a chiropodist in the future I was until this event unaware of the services they provide as well as general foot care preventives.

This is why one must take their health into their own hands since the factors that put us at risk will vary from person to person, gender to gender and more importantly race to race. As a woman the health issues that are specific to my gender are generally well publicised so are those that are impartial to gender though when it comes to my race things get tricky. Being black their are many diseases I’m at lower risk of getting such as some of the 'common' cancers though I'm at a higher risk of developing high blood pressure and diabetes then my white counterpart yet this information doesn't seemed to be shared as freely. There are specific illnesses that are more prevalent in black people such as sickle-cell anaemia yet many of us are unaware we maybe dormant carriers.
Also not many black people realise that that our skin colour protects us from sun damage thus lowering our risk of developing melanoma skin cancer though acral lengtiginous melanoma another type of skin cancer is more common in black people; while its not said to be linked to sun exposure it is still as fatal and was the type of cancer that killed world famous reggae artist Bob Marley, yet who's heard of it?

Medicine and health is just another area and industry that is racially exclusive, while the information is their very little is often done to get the message across to those that are in need of it, well not until its too late, which is why I commend Black History Walks for organising such a important and useful event that specifically promotes black health issues.

For further info on black health do check the links below also if you would be interested in attending this black health event or similar do check the Black History Walks website and sign up for event updates, see link below.


Useful Info Links:
70,000 black and South Asian people in UK unaware they have diabetes
Diseases and Different Ethnic Groups
Sickle-Cell, bbc.co.uk
Blackhistorywalks.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Review: The Weeknd Trilogy

Rarely do I buy new music these days, with it being even more of a rarity that I buy music from male artists. Reason being that I just can not stomach the lies and hypocrisy commercially viable male solo artists spin with their predictable music and unoriginal public image clashing fiercely with the reality of their private lives.

With music today being so limited in the topics sung about and (in making myself sound old - which I'm not) the lack of experience, soul and true artistry in today's predominately young artists, I was surprised and delight to find out about Canadian singer The Weeknd. I'm told that this artist has actually been around for a while, though it is only now that The Weeknd's music is reaching commercial heights with the song Wicked Games played regularly on the radio. While I have liked the song since hearing it, it wasn't until I had seen its music video that I really became interested in what this young male solo artist has to offer.

Wi…

Rise Of The Beta Male

Interesting article in last week’s Shortlist discussing the demise of the 'Alpha' male and rise of the 'Beta' male.
In a nutshell, the article was discussing recent culture changes in male behaviour and attitudes which has contributed to the emergence of the Beta male.
Beta males are smart sensitivity men who invest in their appearance, they are said to have turned their backs on the old Alpha male ways of male domination, aggression and exploitation, instead they embody intelligence, charisma and are liberal thinking. According to the article beta males are changing the way we do business!

I was pleased to see that the article had made a connection with this new male attitude and behaviour to the adaption (for the better) to the feminist movement and the study's of masculinity, since the process of women demanding and slowly achieving gender equality has encouraged many men to relieve themselves of the emotional castration once promoted as the alpha male image of…

Book Review: We Real Cool: Black Men and Masculinity

We Real Cool take's a deep look at black masculinity and offers up a fantastic critical analyst of the pros and cons of being a black male in the US.
Hooks acknowledges early in the book that as a female her view point on this subject maybe subjective, though We Real Cool is written with much intellect and heart. It is with great passion for her black males that Hooks writes with, saying that the lack of critical writings on the subject by black males was the catalysis for why she wrote the book.

The book is a real eye opener on the issues and daily assault out black males face and easily related to black males in the UK. Hooks dicusses black male incarceration, Hip-Hop & gang culture, black male misogyny and absentee fatherhood. As a female reader the book spoke volumes to me, and in usual fashion Hooks drew from her personal experiences and relationships with black males when writting the book. This not only helped draw parallels between the black males in my life (i.e. fat…